Monday, December 22, 2008

Icecicles


I used to buy glass icecicles for my Christmas tree. That was before I had kids and worried about them getting broken. They were also very hard to find, and expensive in those days. But, oh, so beautiful! I still love icecicles for my tree, but have moved on to handgathered, handpicked, handmade beaded icecicles.
It started long ago with some my sister Rainy Face made for me. (above)







Then with my kids we made some with pipe cleaners and an assortment of beads (passed down to me from my Mother-in-law), buttons and old jewelry, to come up with these.
Then another sister from Texas came with a kit that we made, with all the kids working alongside us.











They made these ,


while we made these from the kit.

Since then I have made some every year . I spend a little money here and there, at yard sales and thrift stores on white, pearl, clear or crystal beads that I can use in my next batch of icecicles. I have started buying old salt and pepper shakers to put them in, so I can see them and enjoy their shapes and sizes and colors, until it is time to create new ornaments.









1 comment:

Mel said...

Beautiful iciles! I love mine, Grandma and Mom, Jeffrey, and Andrew made some for me in 2007. They are beautiful!