Sunday, January 2, 2011

Wood Burned Nativity


This is a close up of the three wise men, They are all the same shape, but I wanted to make them look different. I am done, but not entirely happy with their appearance. I did make each vessel they are carrying look unique and that was one of my goals. I would like to make their clothing look more eccentric, but could not figure out how.

In this one you can see almost every piece except the standing sheep and the donkey. Each piece took a long time it seemed (a little like curling your hair one strand at a time with a curling iron). The whole idea of this wooden nativity, was to have a set that children can actually play with, which mine have, and the nicks and dents don't really show at all.
This close up of the sheep's wool, shows the swirls, that I made with an attachment I created from a piece of copper wire. It made a tremendous difference in the speed of this process. I tried to do it with the tip of the iron and it looked bad and took forever. But with the wire attachment it went much faster and looks more uniform.
Yea! A finished project! Just in time to put away for another year.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

That looks great Lynn. Congratulations.

Laurie said...

almost as good as my painted one....actually I really do love it. don't know why i didn't think of it.