Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm attempting a quilt.


I have thought about starting a quilt for a long time, but had not found one I thought I could do. I'm a little chicken and I did not want any triangles, bias pieces, or curves for my first attempt. Now this is besides the one baby quilt I tried to do for my first baby, 21+ years ago. That I never finished--I ran into troubles, ie: fabrics that were too thin, I think some were not 100 percent cotton, it was not perfect, and when I got into it I did not like the fabrics together, I also did not know how to bind it. All those excuses mounted up to a really good reason not to continue with the effort. I think I still have the bundle of materials somewhere in my tubs of projects. Anyway... my sister sent me this picture from a quilt show she went to and we decided to make one each. I realize it is soo busy, that is one of it's charms. It also has all straight edges. I am not sure it is 'fabulous', but each block is fun to make and not hard, also on my requirement list. I have made 27 blocks. I have purchased several 1/8 yard pieces of fabric to help with this effort. Unlike my sister I have not got a mega stash of fabrics and need to build up a stock to make it possible to reach the goal of completion. I figure I will need 120 blocks, (each block requiring 1- 2 1/2" x 8 1/2" black and white stripe piece and 12 to 14 - 3 1/2" x 1"to 2 1/2" pieces) soo I am a long way from that point. I did raid my mother stash and found 61 pieces. It would have been a lot higher number except they all have to be stripes. She has flowers in the hundreds, but only 61 stripes. I have been surprised to find how time consuming the cutting process is, how long it takes me to decide on the combinations and what a big difference spray starch makes in the pressing step. I will keep you posted on my progress.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

What a great start; I have 1 block done....The cutting is a bear. I think you're doing fantastic.

Angela S said...

Wow, the thought of a Belmear sister who hasn't been a life long quilter just seems strange. It sounds like you're doing awesome! One of these days I'll get started on my own.